Thursday, July 5, 2012

The heat, the heat

Historically, the highs during the run at Vineman have been in the low to mid 80s, so that was my heat acclimation target. I've been doing all my runs and most of my bike rides in the mid-afternoon, during what is (for my area) the hottest part of the day.

Since I live near the coast, that's generally in the 78 - 80 degree range, and I've gotten so where low 80s, which usually really bother me, don't make me feel like I want to die. 

So, of course, since nothing can ever go the way I plan, the predicted high for Vineman is 95.

NINETY FIVE freakin' degrees. Holy God.

I'm projecting the better part of an hour for the swim, and probably three and change for the bike, so that's going to put me on the run course right when the oven finishes pre-heating.

Since shaking my fist at the sky and cursing Mother Nature isn't producing the cooling effect I wanted, I'm going to have to make an attempt to acclimate to a hotter temperature by sitting in the sauna every day for the next week and a half.

This probably isn't enough time - normally, the 'sauna method' takes at least a month, but I've got the time I've got and every little bit helps.

I go back to the cardiologist Tuesday for my treadmill test, and then the week after Vineman they're going to get an ultrasound of my heart. I don't understand why they can't do both the same day, but oh well.

I can't have any caffeine for 24 hours before the treadmill test. I'm not sure if I'm going to survive that.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks!