Thursday, June 16, 2011

I hate my HRM

Several years ago, when I was shopping for a heart rate monitor, I settled on the Polar F6. Mainly for cost reasons, but also because my gym had a workout rewards program that would read that particular monitor (one year later, I got four free personal training sessions because I logged so many workouts).

It's been an annoyance from day one, though. My main issue with it is that it loses signal at least every five minutes, so when I look down to see what my heart rate is, it reads 250 bpm or something.

"Oh, that's great", I think. "My heart's going to explode. Hope I paid my life insurance bill this month."

Then, I look down a minute later and see that my heart rate  now reads 00.

"Awesome. I'm dead. But I'm still running, so that must make me a zombie. Which is kind of cool, but I don't really like brains, so what's a girl to do? Do they make zombie mojitos?"

"Oh, wait... 155. Good to know I'm not dead. Yet."

The older the Polar has gotten, the worse this losing signal thing has become, so now I'm logging workouts like this:

Duration: 1.5 hours. Max heart rate: 240. Average heart rate: 50. Calories burned: 12.

I've replaced both batteries (the one in the wrist band and the one in the chest strap), and have come to the conclusion that it just sucks and I'd love to replace it. Unfortunately, there's no money around here for a new one, so I'm just going to have to deal.

But when I do come into some funds, I want to get one of those fancy HRMs that have a GPS and can balance my checkbook for me. 

DISCLAIMER: I don't drink mojitos, but maybe I would were I a zombie. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks!